"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Wednesday 16 May 2012

The salad dressing lesson




When living abroad you miss the strangest of things from home. No matter how wonderful your new country is and how many new things there are to experience, you always seem to miss something.
Take France - French cuisine is respected around the world and I have tried (and liked) many new dishes, flavours and ingredients. What do I bring back with me (and beg people to bring with them when they come to visit) every time I go back to the UK? Sausages and bacon. One of my favourite meals is good old Bangers and Mash, even when living in the country of boeuf bourguignon and cock au vin.
France also has over 620 different types of cheese, but I know people who fill suitcases with packets of English cheddar.
Marmite is, of course, another staple suitcase filler, along with Branston pickle, Coleman's mustard, packets of jelly, biscuits, sweets and even chocolate (Cadbury's of course!)

One of the things that occasionally pops up in my mind in the 'I miss that' section is Caesar salad dressing. Again, France has plenty of salad dressing - vinaigrette, vinaigrette with herbs, mayonnaise, vinaigrette with mustard, mayonnaise with mustard etc, but no Caesar dressings.

As summer is approaching and I'm eating more salads, I was thinking about this and made a mental note to buy some next time I was back in the UK, or ask someone to bring some back if they were going there before me. I also thought about looking up a recipe for it, but didn't get round to doing that.

Two days later I was strolling round Marché U and went past the condiment shelves (while muttering 'washing up liquid' to myself) and something made me stop and walk backwards a couple of paces. I looked at the shelves and there, nestled amongst the salad dressings were bottles of Heinz Caesar salad dressing. I had to buy some.

To me this a perfect example of being able to manifest something quickly and easily. Although I hadn't expressly asked the universe for a bottle of salad dressing, I had put the intention out that I would like some, had briefly thought of a couple of ways I could get some, and then let it go and, in fact, had completely forgotten about it. I was not hung up on the result, obsessed with when it would come or dictating the outcome in any major way.

OK, so it was only salad dressing and that is probably the reason why it appeared so quickly as, let's face it,  thinking about a bottle of salad dressing is pretty low on the emotional scale.

When I want something big, such as money, I have a lot of emotions stored up in the feeling of lack and the way I want the outcome to be, that I have difficulty letting it go. I limit myself in thinking about how it is going to come to me, 'Must by lottery tickets, get another client etc' and when it will come and continue putting negative energy into the situation.

In reality we need to let go of how and let the Law of Allowing do its work. This is not always easy and is a lesson in trust. For me this has been a useful reminder and it is something I need to refer back to when I start putting too much disruptive energy into a manifestation.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Charlotte! Yes, that's a nice reminder. I'll be spending several months in Italy in the near future, and I was thinking just exactly what would I miss about the US when I get there! There's always something isn't there.
    BTW, there's nothing like homemade dressings! So good!
    Thanks for the reminder of letting go and allowing, with ease and grace at all times.
    Best, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzanne

    Italy, how exciting! Whereabouts will you be? Hope you have a great time.
    You are right, I do make some dressings and they are yummy, just never got round to finding a recipe for this one - too lazy perhaps??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what a great reminder to just allow! Tossing a desire out there and detaching from the outcome is a practiced skill that requires commitment! I love reminders to just be, trust, believe, and have faith. Just float the desire and allow! Yep, that's what I will work on! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna

      Yes, it seems so easy doesn't it - just put the intention out there and let go. The reality is very different and as you said is a skill that needs practice!!

      Delete